A Career In Podiatry
Why consider a career in podiatric medicine and surgery?
- A Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) is a specialist in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of lower extremity disorders, diseases, and injuries.
- DPMs can specialize in a variety of areas such as surgery, orthopedics, or public health. Besides these certified specialties, podiatrists may practice a subspecialty such as sports medicine, pediatrics, dermatology, wound care, or diabetic foot and ankle care.
- All podiatric medical students receive highly-specialized education and are trained as surgeons by being required to complete a three-year surgical residency upon graduating from a podiatric medical school.
- The DPM is a vital member of the healthcare team. They are often the first to detect symptoms of diabetes or peripheral vascular disease because of the human foot’s interrelation with the rest of the body.
Podiatric Medical Student, Resident, and Young Physician Resources
Podiatric medical students are beginning their journey of specialized education and training. APMA membership is free to all podiatric medical students. To help you take the first steps in your future career, make sure you join APMA today and take advantage of the student and young physician resources.
If you haven’t applied for your free membership yet, do so today! Student Membership Opt-in Form
Resident / Postgraduate Membership Application (Free membership in WA State)
Practicing DPM Membership Application (Associate members receive discounted dues rates in WA State)
APMA offers online resources dedicated to the success of podiatric medical students, residents, and podiatric physicians newer in practice. Student resources includes information about scholarships, clerkships, residencies, and podiatric educational resources. Residents and young members can find additional support for life after podiatric medical school with the Young Physician Transition Series. This member-only resource includes topics that help young podiatric physicians transition from residency to the initial years as a practitioner.
WSPMA Mentor Resources
Become a mentor and give back to your profession by encouraging future podiatrists. Join the Mentor Network today. Please consider opting-in through your account profile on APMA.org.
- Log in to APMA.org
- Click “My Account” on the top of the screen
- Click “Update Contact and Mentor Info”
- Scroll down; select the box next to “Become a Podiatry Mentor”
- Click “Save”
The American Podiatric Medical Association is dedicated to promoting careers in podiatric medicine and advancing the podiatric profession. Mentors can access additional resources for promoting careers in podiatric medicine and surgery by using APMA’s Student Recruitment Tool Kit. A variety of promotional materials are offered for all WSPMA members to use for their office or for professional outreach.